Green Barn

About Us

Old Green BarnGreen Barn Garden Center is located 3 miles south of Isanti on Highway 65. The business started in 1957 as a small vegetable stand by George and Janice Sparks. It was originally a truck farm named Plainview Vegetable Market. After being painted bright green, everyone called it the Green Barn. The name caught on leading to a name change the following year in 1958.

In 1962, a fire destroyed the Green Barn. Friends and neighbors helped rebuild allowing the business to reopen in just a few months. Light groceries and vegetables were sold at that time and eventually greenhouses were added in 1965. Children Sally, Susan, Tony, David, and George all helped on the farm. Son, Tony and wife Cathy Sparks took over the business in 1982 changing the name to Green Barn Garden Center Inc.

Green BarnGreenhouses have continued to expand and vegetable production has continued as well with potatoes, sweet corn, pumpkins, squash, tomatoes, peppers, melon, and other crops. Children Donny and Kelsey Sparks also work with the family at the Green Barn today bringing the third generation into the family business. Currently the greenhouse range includes about 2 acres of greenhouses and about 100 acres of field production.